Student registration in the School of Humanities and Social Sciences
Technical University of Mombasa is a beehive of activities as it started to enroll the highest intake ever of 4,500 students.
However, the University administration and staff proved equal to the task, as all mobilized with computers, desks and other resources, which helped to eliminate winding queues.
The students have been placed by Kenya Universities and Colleges Central Placement Services (KUCCPS) to pursue different courses at Diploma and Degree levels in the University, and they started reporting on Monday September 18, 2023.
The University gates were opened as early as 5.30am as students, parents and guardians flocked the institution from various regions across the country.
Corporate communications office spoke to some students and parents about their first experience at TUM, the only Kenyan University situated at sea level. Many of them said they were satisfied with the pace of registration process and efficiency of the staff involved.
Ricahard Otieno, a parent from Kisumu who accompanied his son, expressed his joy that his son got an opportunity to study in one of the oldest and reputed technical institutions in Kenya.
‘’You cannot write the history of engineering in Kenya without mentioning TUM. The University has produced the best engineers in Kenya and East Africa at large. Today I am a proud parent that my son has joined this institution to pursue a Bachelor Degree in Civil Engineering.” Mr Otieno quipped.
Another parent Ms Peninah Mwikali was excited after her daughter was placed to pursue Bachelor of Hospitality management. ‘’My daughter is here to pursue her dream course, I am sure that this school which is based in the resort city of Mombasa will nurture her to become a great person in that field”, Mwikali said.
“TUM has been my dream institution to pursue a Bachelor Degree in Marine Engineering,” Loice Manga said. Another student Boniface Jillo said his admission to TUM to pursue a Diploma in Mechanical Engineering was a dream come true.
To cope with the huge numbers, this time round the University has scattered registration points in the different schools and locations within the campus.
The main places are Assembly Hall for the School of Business, E-Learning Centre for the School of Humanities and Social Sciences, M-Block for the School of Applied and Health Sciences, Marine Engineering Block for the School of Engineering and Technology and ICT lecture Block for the Institute of Computing and Informatics.
Deputy Vice Chancellor Academics Research and Extension Prof Peter Gichangi has assured all students who were placed by Kenya Universities and Colleges Central Placement Services (KUCCPS) that they will be admitted at TUM without paying anything as per the government directive.
According to the revised funding model for universities, students classified as vulnerable and extremely needy will be eligible for full government funding, amounting to 100%, for their studies. That financial support will be provided through a combination of scholarships and loans.
On the other hand, students considered to be in the categories of needy and less needy will receive 93% government funding, requiring them to cover the remaining 7% of their tuition expenses.